Paula Dennan is a writer, feminist activist and organiser, and a book reviewer who swapped life in Dublin for the quietness of Co. Kerry.
What began as a place to write about my love of all things beauty related evolved into Cornflakegirl’s Musings, a blog about books, feminism and life. Cornflakegirl’s Musings was a finalist in the Books & Literature (Personal) category of the Blog Awards Ireland 2018 and shortlisted for the 2017 Blog Awards Ireland in the same category.
I always wondered why somebody doesn’t do something about that. Then I realised I was somebody. – Lily Tomlin
I came late to a lot of things; the realisation I was bisexual, being pro-choice and feminism in general. My interest in feminism and LGBTQ+ rights and experiences turned me into an activist and organiser.
- Public Relations Officer (PRO) for Kerry Festival of Pride 2020; working with the Kerry Pride committee to develop and execute PR strategies and campaigns for the festival’s relaunch in 2020.
- Founding member and spokesperson for Kerry for Choice; a pro-choice group advocating for free, safe, legal and local abortion access in Ireland. Kerry for Choice is a regional group of the national Abortion Rights Campaign.
- Bi+ Ireland Coordinator; working on all things social media and website related. I wrote about what it’s like to be bisexual when you live in rural Ireland. – Being bi+ in rural Ireland
- Founding member of Kerry Feminist Collective; a grassroots, volunteer-run feminist activist group.
- Convener of Kerry for Choice; from January 2016-January 2019 I was responsible for developing projects and strategies on a local and regional level and ensuring Kerry for Choice worked with national Abortion Rights Campaign and Coalition to Repeal the Eighth Amendment organisations.
- Partnerships and Outreach Working Group Representative with the Abortion Rights Campaign; supporting the development of the campaign’s regional groups and coordinating with ally groups.
- Spokesperson for Kerry Together for Yes during the referendum to Repeal the Eighth Amendment to the Irish Constitution.
- Helpline volunteer with LGBT Ireland.
- Canvassing Materials Coordinator for Yes Equality Kerry during the referendum to legalise same-sex marriage. I wrote about my experience of the campaign. – Marriage equality: the LGBTQ+ community, canvassing and voting yes
I can usually be found with a book in my hand or sharing links on social media to articles, blog posts and stuff from the internet that has caught my attention.